Documenting my attempt to cut my energy usage in half.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Heating the house

I've made a conscious effort this winter to open and close the few shades that are in the house to let in as much sunlight/heat as possible.  Has it made a difference?  I'd like to think it has but I'm not sure how to measure it as it's a passive heat gain and only applicable on days when the sun is actually out.  During the winter months, the heatpump is the major source of energy usage in my house.  Any changes in temperature from year to year make comparing savings extremely difficult.  In the past 7 years I've had my electric bill for January fluctuate from a low of 2900 kwh to a high of 4900 kwh.  So how can I compare?  Unless it's such a drastic change that it cuts my heating in half, any other savings could easily be lost in the noise of how many hot showers were taken, how many loads of clothes, running the dishwasher, etc.

Looking for ideas...

No comments:

Post a Comment