Documenting my attempt to cut my energy usage in half.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Lacrosse EA-3010U Handheld Anemometer

I bought an EA-3010U the other day to help with calculating the CFM output of the recently completed solar air heater and have mixed feelings about it.  I was able to get the readings from it that I needed but it definately doesn't work as well as advertised.  The manual says that it will read as low as .4 mph and I highly disagree.  My unit requires a fairly strong gust to get it spinning, in the range of 6-7 mph or more.  I've been outside in 10 mph winds before and have not been able to get the blades to spin to get a reading.  This is not a battery issue, it's a blades not spinning issue.  If I blow directly on the blades I can sometimes get a reading starting at around 3 mph but the blades will abruptly stop spinning as if they hit a sticky spot.  No where near the .4 advertised.

I have attempted to contact their support.  Email is their preferred method of contact which is good since they don't have an 800 number.  At least they are upfront about the fact that it will take a long time for them to respond.  Clock is ticking at 5 business days so far.

Update: Sun 2/27/11.  The unit is being sent back to Amazon because it doesn't work as advertised and Lacrosse support has failed to respond to my email.

No comments:

Post a Comment