Documenting my attempt to cut my energy usage in half.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

HP PSC 2510

While I was surveying the house with a Fluke thermal imaging camera the other day I happened to take a look at my HP PSC 2510 all-in-one printer/fax thingy.


I sure wasn't expecting it to be using electricity as I usually keep it turned off since it's really only used maybe once a month.  When this picture was taken the printer had been off for over a week.  Interested in how much energy it was actually using, I plugged it into a Kill-A-Watt meter.

  • On (idle) - 18 watts
  • Off (or so I thought) - 10 watts
So, 10 watts for an entire year equals 87.6 kwh, or about $10 a year to sit there... off.   For the thousands of these that sit around "on" all day/night, it's about 157 kwh/year ($17). 

No comments:

Post a Comment